top of page
  • Writer's pictureangelinaaanderson

Rental property deductible expenses

What you can claim?

You can claim expenses relating to your rental property but only for the period your property was rented or available for rent – for example, advertised for rent.

Expenses could include:

  • advertising for tenants

  • bank charges

  • body corporate fees

  • borrowing expenses

  • capital works

  • council rates

  • decline in value of depreciating assets

  • gardening and lawn mowing

  • insurance

  • interest expenses

  • land tax

  • legal expenses

  • pest control

  • phone

  • property agent fees or commissions

  • repairs and maintenance

  • stationery

  • travel undertaken to inspect the property or to collect the rent

  • water charges.

If part of your property is used to earn rent, you can claim expenses relating to only that part of the property. You will need to work out a reasonable basis to apportion the claim.


Timmy’s private residence includes a second storey which he rented out. The second storey represents 35% of the total floor area of the house. Timmy also shared the laundry with his tenant. The laundry takes up 5% of the total floor area of the house. If half is a reasonable figure for use of the laundry by the tenant, Timmy can claim 37.5% of the expenses for the property – that is:

35% + (1/2 x 5%) = 37.5%.

Need help with your investment property expenses? Contact us today.

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page